Principal Scientist, Investment Team at Innovation Endeavors (CS/Biology focus)
Innovation Endeavors is a global venture capital firm co-founded and solely backed by Eric Schmidt. We believe the next wave of $1B-$100B venture opportunities will be driven by ambitious founders using emerging technologies as levers to transform a wide range of industries, from life sciences, food/agriculture, and logistics to financial services, manufacturing, and everything in between. Innovation Endeavors has offices in Silicon Valley and Tel-Aviv. Some of the companies in our portfolio include: Planet Labs, SoFi, Plenty, Zymergen, and Blue River Technology. Please visit www.innovationendeavors.com to learn more.
Role Description: We are looking for someone who lives in the intersection of life sciences and computer science to help us research, source, and invest in leading early-stage companies in the space (e.g. computational biology, synthetic biology, healthcare AI). We’ve made several investments in this space over the past couple years, and are eager to expand. Relevant portfolio companies include Zymergen, Freenome, Color Genomics, Viz.ai, and Karius. The role includes:
- Researching and building investment hypotheses within the space
- Proactively finding and meeting startups, exceptional teams, and researchers
- Creating content, events, and more to strengthen the firm’s brand in the space
- Technical/Science diligence of companies of interest
- Conduct research, customer calls, expert interviews, investor conversations, etc.
- Synthesize findings and make recommendation to investment team
- Ecosystem Building:
- Building partnerships with pharma, payers, providers, and major research institutions
The ideal candidate:
- Deeply passionate about using data, computation, and AI to better human health
- PhD in Computational Biology or a related field from a top program
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science and experience in machine learning is highly desirable
- Plugged into the ecosystem: knows the top academics and thought leaders, understands the landscape, connected to investors, excited about specific areas and companies
- Social butterfly and has strong interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solving style, and exceptional work ethic
- 2-4 years of startup experience is desirable
- Enjoys working in a small team environment
- Based in the Bay Area (or willing to relocate to the Bay Area)
If you are interested in learning more about the role or applying, please send your resume and an email cover letter to email@example.com.